Tuesday, January 5, 2010

If a Phone Doesn't Ring -- is it an iTouch?

I received an iTouch for Christmas.
I haven't taken it out of the packaging yet.

Not because I don't love the Touch -- but because I can't imagine schlepping both my Blackberry and my Touch everywhere -- when God knows, all I would want to use is my Touch. So why is it still sitting on my kitchen counter staring at me out of its sleek, plexicase, the ends still hermetically sealed? 'Cause I really want to ditch my Blackberry and eliminate the need for the Touch by getting the iPhone. And I can't do that because Apple has tethered its fortunes to AT&T. You have to wonder what Steven Jobs thought when AT&T announced, in a brilliant marketing move, that the iPhone would not be available for sale from its Web site to any customers in the New York City and surrounding areas.

Most of us in the digerati were head-shaking shocked when we heard the news, broken by the Consumerist, that rationing the iPhones was AT&T's boneheaded response to the fact that its data network is just to jammed to handle any more traffic. According to TheiPhoneBlog, AT&T PR responded that it reserves the right to "periodically modify our promotions and distribution channels." But a later statement from AT&T, reported by All Things Digital, said that it was guarding against online fraud.  Puh-lease.

AT&T has been behind the technology curve since the breakup, and while its partnership with Apple has been a boon to the brand, it has also been its bane. The iPhone is a data gobbler -- the 100k apps are the reason for its popularity -- and a factor in AT&Ts sagging network. It's gotten so bad that everyone is taking potshots. During his Weekend Update for SNL, Seth Meyers noted the growing rumor of Google's new smart phone. He quipped:  "You know what also is a challenge to the iPhone -- making phone calls." You can just imagine someone at AT&T saying -- enough already, just stop selling the damn thing there.

This type of co-marketing is not what Jobs had in mind. I'm praying that the New York City bungling means Apple can cite breach of contract -- and make an announcement in February that it is opening the phone to other networks. Otherwise, I just can't bear signing a 2 year contract and I just might have to take the shrink wrap off my iTouch ... which is basically what the iPhone is in NYC.

No comments: